Safety Through Education - Program Rules
- Violation of program rules/guidelines may result in discharge, at the discretion of staff, from the Safety Through Education Driver Intervention Program.
- Safety Through Education is an alcohol and drug free program. Possession or use of alcohol or drugs by clients, verified by staff’s reasonable suspicion, will result in immediate discharge. This includes any clients possessing drug paraphernalia.
- Personal property is subject to search at any time. All contraband will be confiscated.
- Violence, possession of weapons, or threats made to clients or staff is not tolerated. Any deliberate or negligent actions harmful to the safety or welfare of clients or staff will result in immediate discharge from Safety Through Education and legal action taken if appropriate.
- Sexual harassment or any sexual contact with clients, staff or other persons will result in immediate discharge from the program.
- Any behavior or action which may compromise the integrity of the Safety Through Education Program may result in immediate discharge.
- All clients are expected to be on time and participate in all scheduled sessions and related program activities. This also includes all meals served during the weekend. Disruptive behavior is not tolerated during sessions and may result in discharge from the program.
- Clients must be appropriately dressed at all times.
- If clients are not present in their rooms, the rooms are to be kept locked. Staff and hotel management are not responsible for any items missing or stolen from rooms.
- No visitors are allowed on the hotel premises during the 72-hour program. Clients are not allowed to have other clients, except their own roommates, in their rooms.
- Staff will conduct nightly room checks.
- Clients are to be in their rooms by 11:00 p.m. every night (Thursday, Friday and Saturday). Those not present at this curfew time will be considered absent without leave – AWOL.
- Clients are not permitted to leave the assigned area of the hotel (this includes the BP station), unless accompanied by staff.
- The telephones in clients' rooms are not in service. Phone calls can be made from inside clients' rooms during authorized times (breaks and meal times). Leave all cell phones in your rooms for the entire weekend. After the first break on Thursday evening, if your cell phone is not kept in your room at all times during the 72-hour program then it will be taken by a staff member. Your phone will eventually be returned to you when the program ends.
- Do not drive to the Safety Through Education Program if your driver license is suspended..
- Clients are not allowed in the restaurant/bar area except on Thursdays after 9:00 p.m. or during days/times when meals are scheduled to be served in the restaurant area.
- Clients in triple rooms are required to alternate rollaway beds with roommates. Each night a different person will occupy a rollaway unless other arrangements are made between roommates.
- You are required to provide detailed information on your court contact, probation officer, and attorney (if applicable) to the Safety Through Education Program no later than Friday of the weekend you are attending. This information includes your attorney's name, address, phone/fax numbers, and email address. Please refer to your program information form. Failure to thoroughly complete your information form will delay your program completion report from being faxed to your court, probation officer, and attorney.
- The hotel swimming pool is prohibited.
The Safety Through Education Driver Intervention Program is a 72-hour residential program certified by the State of Ohio. The program is an alternative to incarceration for persons who have been arrested for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse. The purpose of Safety Through Education is to provide intervention services mandated by the legal system for OVI offenders. The program helps individuals recognize the seriousness of OVI and the need to change their drinking and driving practices. Safety Through Education accomplishes this through screening, education, and referral services. The ultimate
goal of the program is to help reduce the amount of OVI cases in the community by promoting safety through education.
2021 Program Dates
If you register with a credit card at www.duiintervention.com, please call after you make your payment for important program information. You are unable to attend the program if you show up at the hotel without calling in advance.
The program is located at:
DoubleTree By Hilton
(log on to www.clevelandwestlake.doubletree.com for hotel directions)
1100 Crocker Road
Westlake, OH 44145
Program times are from 5:30 p.m. Thursday to 5:30 p.m. Sunday. The program costs $295 for
three nights in the hotel, all meals except on Thursday evening, education and group discussion sessions on traffic safety, alcoholism and drug abuse, and OVI related issues. This fee does not include an assessment but arrangements can be made if you need an assessment. Registration is possible by mail, cash, or with a credit card through the website listed above. If you register with a credit card at www.duiintervention.com, please call after you make your payment for important program information. You are unable to attend the program if you show up at the hotel without calling in advance. If you register by mail, the full payment is due no later than one week prior to the beginning of the program by check or money order, payable to Safety Through Education and sent to:
Safety Through Education
Driver Intervention Program
26777 Lorain Road, Suite 403
North Olmsted, OH 44070